- Open SQL Server Profiler:
2. Open file > new trace and connect to the DB engine from SSMS:
3. The trace options window should then show up:
4. Select the events selection tab and select the options and filters to be used in the trace. For Resware a good starting point is to include stored procedures and text data to see any bottlenecks. Avoid selecting too many criteria as this can cause performance issues on the SQL server:
5. Click run to start the trace:
6. To stop the trace select the stop button (red square) in the menu you should then get an entry that says trace stopped:
7. Then save the trace by going to file > save as > trace file and export to a local PC. SQL Server Profiler can be used to view the trace following capture.